Hi all, web developer here. I’ve been tasked with improving a few sites in regards to Core Web Vitals. I’ve generated a report with Lighthouse but have a few questions. I’m hoping some one here might be able to shed light on them:
* I have a bunch of ‘Appropriately sized image’ errors. There are for banner images that shrink/expand relative to the browser window size. How can I address this issue without making an infinite amount of appropriately sized images to load at each potential window size?
* Are CDNs for third part scripts still preferred over locally hosted scripts?
* I’m told to remove unused CSS classes and there are a bunch for the home page (I have just 1 CSS file). Should I be creating individual CSS files for each page type?
* If you have only one picture for every dimension then yes you should do different images with different dimensions. Not an infinite amount, but if you load a 1000×1000 image to resize it to 200×200 then that’s a waste. I think there are services doing it automatically out there
* Yes, especially for well-known scripts as it will already be cached by the user’s browser
* That’s probably over-kill
1) I have this issue as well. Check the demo version of your theme and see if it has the same issues. If not, copy their image sizes.
2) No idea.
3) Individual CSS files are preferred, but not mandatory. Chances are, there is a lot of functionality that comes with your theme that you will never use. Start by deleting that but back up your site because you might crash :).