Forums Forums White Hat SEO Social Media 2 Questions; Difficult Client

• 2 Questions; Difficult Client

Posted by seohelper on February 26, 2020 at 2:29 pm

1. A client, who I only do social for, is asking me to help him sell his books & land speaking gigs with only organic posts. He knows that it’s a slow road but we’re gaining traction & the engagement/reach is well on-track. The issue comes with getting him to submit content because this is marketing ***him*** and not just a product. I need videos or photos, something of him that his followers can connect with & foster that relationship but it has been like pulling teeth for months. To be clear, I manage multiple channels, curating content & utilizing all existing content as well as engaging with messages/comments/connections & finding groups. I just know the missing piece on the page is real content from him that connects – things I can’t curate or make up. **If you’ve dealt with clients like this, how did you get them to actually provide content of themselves when you can’t physically be there to make sure they do it?**

2. I’m upgrading a social account he has to Premium & I wanted to verify that this is something you would typically add to an invoice & charge a client for, not $250ish that would just come out of what you get paid.

I had someone jump down my throat when I mentioned adding the one-time annual charge to the month’s invoice & I don’t want to overcharge.

ErinGibsonCo replied 4 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • jadesangel

February 26, 2020 at 2:39 pm

1. For the clients who create and provide me content and need direction – I create mood boards which include images and art direction. For example – an image from a competitor or the explore page that performed really well. I’ll explain why this content performed well on social media and provide necessary info so they can replicate something similar.

2. If you need to purchase or use any additional tools that only this client will be using you need to include it in your rate. If I’ve needed to add the tool after a contract I usually ask if they’re willing to invest and explain how it will benefit them.

Seems like this person is a penny pincher. And honestly they can’t expect much from organic content alone. Other marketing strategies need to be in place to see an ROI.

• CondorPerplex

February 26, 2020 at 7:20 pm

You are just part of the team. You are hired to make his goals happen. You are not his monkey nor is he a milk cow. Make him understand that you have to do this together.

• ErinGibsonCo

February 26, 2020 at 9:43 pm

I don’t do SMM but I do frequently have to chase clients for content and I do it via a project management system (I like Asana, personally).

1. Create tasks for each specific item you need from them, assign that task to them, and assign a due date. As that due date approaches (and passes) they’ll get automated reminders from the system, making it clear that the thing is not getting done because they haven’t completed the assignment.
    2. The client should absolutely pay for this.